clarelight-ly knitting

Knit lightly, it makes it easier to take the mistakes out.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Loot

So, I go to the LYS, just to "look around". I get a skein of dark red Lamb's pride for a sweater project, a skein of Trekking XXL in a colorway I don't have, and two skeins of Dale Hauk in dark grey, to knit myself some fingerless mitts. All is well, and all is in budget and planned for. And then I walk by this basket on the way to the cash register...and I see this:

See that fat skein in the left corner? Glowing in it's delicious multi-colored-ness? That, dear reader, is The Yarn Clarelight Can't Live Without. I want to enshrine it in a crystal case for eveyone to admire (but not touch with their grubby, acquisitive claws). Its a bit heavier than laceweight 50/50 merino/silk hand-dyed yarn from Great Adirondak, and now that I have seen and purchased this skein of lovely stuff, I finally understand what all the fuss over "hand-dyed" is about. There is purple, and cobalt blue, and green and gold, and even a little orange, and it is spectacular. Too spectacular to hide, much as I want to.

Lightening struck again, because I also purchased the book "Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls" by Martha Waterman, and in the back is a stole pattern called "Lir's Children" that is a balance of openwork and solid sections that will show off this loveliness beautifully. I'm stoked.

But first I need a swift and ball winder. I have hand-wound lace weight ONCE (1050 yards of Morehouse Farms Merino) and I will never do that again.

Finally, a picture of my boss, Purrsis. She's a tortie with long hair in some places and short in the others, with green-yellow eyes and a sweet face. She has been very patient in training this dog person in the Way of Cat, and I adore her.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Imbrium said...

Ohmigawd. That yarn is beyond beautiful. Of course you couldn't live without it. You did the Right Thing.

Purrsis is a cutie..I'm glad she's bringing you to the dark side, easing you into the Way of the Cat. It's a good place to be.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home