clarelight-ly knitting

Knit lightly, it makes it easier to take the mistakes out.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Anti-Valentine

I really, really hate Valentines Day. I do.

There are many reasons to shun this celebration of erotic love, beginning with the popularity contest Valentines Day becomes in grade school. And I was never popular, so the first year that the class was not required to give little paper slips to each classmate, I got nothing. This lasted all the way through high school.

I don't know why this mattered, since these same kids are now adults I wouldn't associate with willingly anyway, but there you are.

Now that I am (apparently) an adult, I hate it even more. This is entirely because I am a bitter single person, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Except for a year-long marriage in my very early twenties, I have been single and unattatched my entire adult life. I don't want to be single, I don't like being single, and the longer it goes on, the more likely I am to stay single. So it hurts when the whole Valentines push glorifying love, romance, and consumerism comes around every year.

I'm tired of it. It makes me cranky, when I'm not trying to squelch the inevitable self-pity.

I don't expect the world to be fair; I want it to be unfair in my favor for once.




Knitting content tomorrow, I promise.

3 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the grocery store today (Feb. 14) and there were several clerks frantically clearing shelves of the red and white candy and knickknacks, and loading them up with the yellow and green Easter candy and knickknacks. I was overwhelmed with the pointlessness of this consumerist "holiday" and the waste.

Keep knitting, and rise above.

Karen

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Carrie K said...

Valentine's Day sucks. Like practically every other holiday today, it's all about what you got, how much it cost and who gave it to you.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

I must say I am a mom of 6 married for what seems like forever, and my kids? Well, ages from 24 down to 10 weeks! I am exhausted and broke most of the time. I can barely afford ok yarn and would love to just once knit something awesome out of the "good stuff"...that is if i could find a minute to actually knit! :-) My sis on the other hand is 37, and a lawyer, single and lives with our parents. She and mom are like best friends who do everything together!! Road trips my dad rides along and they talk. It is freezing here today and i have to stay home because i have a new baby. Where is Sis? She flew to California to spend the 3 day weekend with 2 other women who are sisters, one a doctor, not married and they are just professional gals on the beech. (Not gay)Just friends who met while taking a 3 week trip through Europe!!! And, then joined up with Rick Steve's again for 2 weeks of Italy!! Single people have much more fun in my opinion. And, to be honest, i haven't met many women who are treated with all the fanfare each holiday. Men aren't really that great! :-) My Sis has lots of money and no ties so she can travel. And, she knits really nice stuff because she can afford it and she can find great stuff while traveling. Life isn't really always greener on the other side.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home